G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: I know it's been said before but I'll say it again... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Friday, June 15, 2007

I know it's been said before but I'll say it again...

cyclists need to be *very* careful out there.

A friend of mine was tellin' me that her co-workers husband was biking in to work like he has many times before, only this time (last week) he was knocked off his bike by a city truck and killed. I don't know the details (iPod or not, aggressive rider or not, etc) but it doesn't really matter.

You need to assume that people behind the wheel of the vehicles are not paying attention.

I know that's a sad commentary on our licensing system and the tolerance we have for people being irresponsible while operating a vehicle but it is an unfortunate reality. Just last week I saw a woman eating breakfast cereal while diving in to work! That is unacceptable and she should have her license suspended for that kind of irresponsible behaviour!

Please, please, please people... be careful out there on your bikes, always be aware of your surroundings and have an escape plan. This poor woman is suddenly left without her husband to raise her four children all because someone operating a large vehicle wasn't observant enough to see the cyclist around his vehicle and ran him over.

I promise I won't always be posting these serious/somber posts but I had to remind all of you how dangerous it can be on the roads out there.

Have a good day everyone and keep your eyes and ears on the activity around you when you're riding home today and everyday.

g.

2 comments:

Jim said...

You can never be to safe G.

So far I have been very lucky while biking and to date, have not had a single incident.

But while running last year a gray hair almost backed over me while pulling out of her driveway. Funny thing was it almost happened again 2 weeks later...same lady, same driveway!

gewilli said...

people get killed driving cars too ya know...

plenty of them...

cyclists, like motorcyclists MUST be aware 100% of the time, constantly calculating what is infront and behind you...

http://bicyclesafe.com/

check that for the best breakdown of how to avoid all but the rarest collisions...

sucks for the family... really sucks...