G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: I just went running for the first time in 2 months... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I just went running for the first time in 2 months...

and it hurt. More mentally than physically... or should I say, I still felt the physical aspects of running but the mental sting of not being able to go the distance on my longer route (which is not very long in comparison to seasoned runner's routes) was harder to take. I know, I know, I've been very sedintary for that last two months (at least when it comes to exercise) so I should cut myself some slack but sheesh, it's hard to take at 05:30. Anyway, I ran 3km and walked 1km. Not bad I guess. On a positive note, I bought new running shoes yesterday on the way home from work and boy does it make a difference in how I feel running. I stayed loyal to New Balance since they're on of the only companies out there that give a crap about people who have wide feet. Sure there are other manufacturers that have models that "fit a little wider" but NB is the only one that makes actual widths. I take a 4E size 10.5. I mean, when you've got feel as wide and flat as mine, they almost look square.... take a moment and visualize it.... see, I don't care who you are, that's a funny picture - square feet. hee hee! Hey, is that the basis for a new cartoon?

I can't miss mentioning this: 37 days 9 hours and 58 minutes until we leave for Algonquin! Check out Jim's blog for some good tips on camping, backpacking, etc.

Hey, I read a neat article (actually it's a new blog feature they're running) this morning in my e-mail from Men's Health. It's about the whole low-fat craze and the misconceptions out here. I thought it warranted posting here:

I Scream for Ice Cream

Here’s the type of study headline that makes me want to poke my eyes out:

The GM Ice Cream That Will Keep You As Slim As An Eel

The “GM” means “genetically-modified,” which I don’t necessarily have a problem with. (Let’s just say the jury’s still out, but there could certainly be benefits to some genetically-modified foods.) However, if you read the story, you’ll see that the only reason that the GM ice cream “keeps you slim” is that it’s low in fat. Now here’s the problem: Most of the time, saying a food (besides milk, meat, and cheese) is low in fat is just code for “it’s high in sugar” or other fast-digesting carbohydrates. That means it raises your levels of the hormone insulin, which signals your body to store fat. In other words, there’s no reason to think it would keep you slim. It’s just that it’s been engrained in most people’s heads—including well-meaning journalists—that fat makes you fat. This is despite the fact that several recent studies have shown that eating more than 60% of your daily calories from fat results in faster weight loss compared to consuming 30% of calories from fat.How can this be possible? Without all those carbs to raise insulin levels, your body keeps burning dietary and stored fat for energy. So the real problem is sugar and those other fast-digesting carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. Don’t get me wrong: There’s no doubt that if you eat too many calories you’ll gain weight either way. But these foods are especially harmful because, if fat is the bullet, they’re the smoking gun.

Anyway, I read through the article hoping to at least find out how much sugar this super ice cream contains. But somehow, the reporter didn’t think to get this information. So I’m disappointed, but not surprised. After all, it’s typical nutrition reporting: Focus on the fat; forget everything else.

One last thought: Are eels slim?


Isn't it crazy how mis-informed we can get about what's healthy? Hey I'm no expert but doesn't it piss you off that they can sell a product sayin' it's low-fat and promoting it almost as a health food and it turns out that it's chalk full of other shit and ingredients that make it potentially unhealthy?
Hey, I'm no "health nut" but I try to eat healthy (okay, I've got some issues with food, especially waffles, those little naughty little things of yummy sweetness... err... sorry, back to the original thoughts) and it amazing how many people don't read the nutrition labels on the food they buy. Did anyone out there see Jamie Oliver's School Dinners show? Wow, if you get an opportunity, watch it and it'll really open your eyes, especially if you have kids. The impact that food has on behaviour is amazing. I know GeWilli will prolly be well aware of that given his organic foods/whole foods way of shoppin' and cookin'. I often think of him as a modern-day hippie... anyone who *really* knows me knows that I don't consider that a bad thing. I know that there can be a lot of negative connotations with the whole "hippie" reference but for me I see many positives in it. Peace, Love, be good to the earth... okay, make fun of me now.

Marie just read something to me from the editorial in today's Toronto Star about the MPs (Members of Parliment) in Ottawa voting themselves a raise of $2000/month because of the cost of living in Ottawa. It says that it's like a union writing, ratifiying a new contract without even letting the negotiator or employer into the room. They didn't even hold a press conference or send out a press release. We need to know that the average MP earns $147,700 a year. Okay, excuse me but how can you not survive on that salary plus and expense account of $20,000. It's now bumped up to $24,000. Damn, I thing I should become an MP.

I just had to write to my MP... it really pissed me off. Here's what I wrote:

Ms. Oda,

I would like to know how much you make as a base salary, what your expense allowance is and how you could not survive on the average salary of $147,700 a year that MPs make. I just read that there was a “secret” meeting that took place that granted MPs a 20% increase to your living expense and there was no public meeting, press release or anything. You, as a group, just waited for the minutes of the meeting to come out quietly a month or so after the meeting on the very day that the House of Commons closed for the summer. Shame on you Ms.Oda. What happened being transparent in the way our government operates? You already get more time off, more money and live a more lavish lifestyle as an MP than a lot of working Canadians that pay your salary. In the last five years MPs have increased their salaries from $131,000 to $141,000! $10,000 in five years… unbelievable.

As the editorial I read points out, if you could not manage to get by on your current (and plentiful) living expense, the MPs should have made the case to their employers – the Canadian Taxpayers – and had the courage to defend the request instead of acting in this almost deceitful manner. You gave us $300 a year (that’s taxed) and gave yourselves $4000 a year. Thank you very much.

I expect to hear back from you, not one of your minions that answers you e-mail. I voted for you and pay part of your salary – please do me the courtesy of personally replying to me directly. Unlike our elected representatives, I will be available throughout the summer as I do not get my summers off.

Regards,
G******


I gotta get in to work now so... have a good day everyone and I hope that some more Canadians write to their MPs to let them know how shameful their actions are.

g.

1 comments:

gewilli said...

i'm not a hippie... I like to be clean...

call me a Foodie, and i don't always buy organic stuff... and i generally don't have a problem with GMO...

which automatically 100% makes me NOT a hippie BTW....

ya due for an ass whuppin for callin me a hippie - so get working on that damn running, you'll need it