G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: It's always good when your best friend... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's always good when your best friend...

dreams as big as you do.

Jim has now decided that we're going to have an expedition to the Everest Base Camp for his 40th birthday. Most guys want to buy a fast car or motorcycle (although I'd wager that Jim would like the motorcycle as well!) but Jim wants to go to a place where people walk by a dying hiker. Nice.

Just kiddin' Jim... that sounds like a trip of a lifetime and one that I would love to do. Jim has some good new posts to his blog about packing your pack and backpacking food choices. Good reading for anyone thinking about either of those things. Of course I am and Jim and I keep reminding each other about how many days are left. (56 days 4 hours and 8 minutes by the way! lol!)

Marie is doing better with her condition... she's beginning to adjust to the way things are gonna be for her. I know it's tough for her and at times I feel like there's nothing I can do to ease her mind. I'm trying to keep things under control with everything on the homefront but I just had a couple of very long days at work running a disaster recovery test (14 hour days kinda long) and I think that took a toll on Marie. She never did well with lack of sleep before all this happened to her and the situation is only aggravating that. She's also frustrated that she hasn't been able to get out on her own due to both being too tired and the fact they suspended her license until she's seizure free for one year. I was thinkin' that maybe I'd take her to the mall and drop her off for an hour... she can walk around and buy stuff, be by herself... I dunno if that'll help. I'm stereotyping here (women and shopping), just tryin to think of something that'll give some time to herself but not involve her driving. Maybe I can get a babysitter tonight and take her out for dinner.
...
Okay, so I hit "Save as Draft" and never came back... oh well, I'll leave the post as-is and continue... I ended up cuttin' out of work early and taking Marie to the mall. She had a bite to eat in the food court and we walk a little bit (bought some new bed sheets for the new bed) and then she'd had enough so we headed home where she had her sleep.

Marie found out that she also suffers from sleep apnea which combined with the pregnancy made he so exhausted that it triggered the seizure she had at the beginning of May. This is good news in that we know have a treatment option for getting better sleeps and therefore reducing the risk of more seizures. So we end up with a root cause for her seizure within 12 hours of the seizure and we have a diagnosis on what is causing the extreme fatigue. A lot of people go a year or two without knowing the cause of their seizures... we're blessed with our situation. (doesn't make it all easy on Maire but at least it helps keep the sanity... for her not me, I'm not sure I'll ever be considered sane, lol!)

Well, Jim and I should be hittin MEC to get the remaining pieces of gear for our trip. I need one nalgene bottle, one hydration pack (thanks for the advice GeWilli), a waist pack (to double as a small day pack for our day trips), the Outback Oven, and the various outback oven food items that we want (like brownies... mmmmm, brownies). By the way, 53 days 0 hours and 14 minutes !

Jim and I are taking our kids camping in July and we're gonna do a test run with the new (to us) stove and I've made it mandatory that we test drive the brownies! lol! This should be a fun short trip... two days in a provincial park is not really camping but it's an adventure that the kids will enjoy and remember. I love knowing that we're doing something that'll become one of their childhood memories. I know both my boys love camping and being outside in general and I love that and want to foster that attitude. Not that they don't like to play video games but we limit their time doing that and watching TV. My parents went to the extreme but I believe it's better to teach them that moderation is the key.

Well, that's it for me today, gotta do a few more thing before I leave for home in an hour so, have a great one everyone!

g.

0 comments: