G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Biodiesel... cool fuel Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Biodiesel... cool fuel

I saw a neat program on OLN last night; CoolFuel: USA Roadtrip:Soybeans, Oregon & Washington. It was really cool (hence the show title, LOL!), the had several different vehicles that ran on biodiesel. What surprised me most was how positive and fired up Marie got about the whole biodiesel thing. I mean, she's heard it before but for some reason she got excited about it last night.

I was banging my head against walls a couple o' years back trying to get a business case together to start a business with a biodiesel plant. Problem was, $15 million was the price tag and when you don't have anything to start with, it's next to impossible to get anyone to listen to you. Anyway, I'm beginning to get ideas again but on a smaller scale. I think that Canola (rapeseed) would be a good feedstock to start with, along with waste veggie oil (WVO). I need to find a low energy method for producing the fuel. Sounds like I'll be doin' a lot of googlin' for the next little while. Then I need to find a local supply for the feedstock. I think that's the easy part. Hmmm... my mind is chuggin' away on this one. It's not so much a money-maker but talk about makin' a positive impact on "life".

Anyway, I've been writin' all this in between various google searches so I should stop this and get back to the grind.

See ya, and thanks for readin'.

g.

3 comments:

Eileen O'Connell said...

Hi there! Just wanted to comment on your blog but now I've had to set up my own blog! Wow! That was a long process! All I wanted to comment was - weren't you supposed to do a mock pack? How'd it go? The biodiesel thing....I thought your car was biodiesel already? Anyway, I was talking a bit about it with Cornelius last night and I swore to him that your car was! You better clear that one up for me!

gewilli said...

what - I start posting about biodiesel and now YOU start?

Copy cat ;)

j/k damn cool stuff ya know!

don't forget investment capital.... i'd wager there's some in canada as well as the usa... and the higher the price of crude goes the more profitable the venture appears....

Jim said...

I am just here to get the inside scoop on "other stuff", but biodiesel is even more interesting.