G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: I Think I'm NUTS... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Friday, April 28, 2006

I Think I'm NUTS...

Okay, am I nuts? I'm actually thinking of running a half marathon in September. Keep in mind that I haven't been exercising with any degree of consistency for the better part of a year. I was up to 35 minutes on the treadmill at the gym last summer (I know, the road is *very* different) but that was running 3 miles, not the 13 that I would run in the Port Perry Half Marathon. For us Canucks, that's a 21.1km run. I only stated it in miles because the treadmill was logging miles and that was my point of reference. I found a training schedule that'll get me up to 5km in 8 weeks and then I'll move to another schedule that'll prepare me for the big event for July and August.

By the way, if you answered my opening question... I don't wanna hear it! BUGGER OFF! :-)

There are several places I'm drawing inspiration from for this craziness:

  1. My buddy Jim is doin' this event and even though he's in better shape, I know where he came from and I think I may just be able to get there too.
  2. Another friend GeWilli is getting back into cycling after several years out of it. Okay now, he started from a better place than me but still, it's the fact that he's back into it and so passionate about that I find inspiring.
  3. My sister's childhood friend is doing an Ironman triathalon. (!) Holy crap! Now there's craziness!
I was chattin' with Jim this morning (gotta love that Google Talk!) and he said that since he started living a more healthy lifestyle, he wakes up feelin' better than the day before to which I responded "I wake up every morning feelin' like I want a stack of waffles." ...there's yer sign.

Speakin' of that, I love listening to the Blue Collar Comedy Channel on Sirius during my drive home. I always end up at some point laughing outloud and making people in the cars around me think I'm nuts... er... perhaps this is a good place to close off for the day.

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!

g.

1 comments:

Jim said...

For the record Gerry you are nuts, but not for wanting to do a marathon...that I know you can do.