G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Back from the dead... I think. Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Back from the dead... I think.

Wow.

We just had a flu go through our house and it spared no one. It all started Thursday when Marie said she wasn't feeling well. After the kids were in bed she started with the "I'm gonna be sick" noises that she makes. She doesn't handle being sick very well. My approach is more practical; if I'm going to be sick, it'll speed the recovery. In other words, if it has to happen, let's get it over with. After a little while my oldest son appeared at the bottom of the stairs saying he wasn't feeling well.

Oh crap.

Let's just say that I was moving between the main bathroom and our ensuite while my son and Marie took turns "talking on the porcelain phone". I decided the best thing was to quarantine them in one room and I slept on the floor so that I'd hear them if they needed me. It turned out it was less "sleeping" on the floor and more just lying on the floor between bouts.

Anyway, Saturday morning came and everyone seemed to be almost back to normal and I declared (prmaturely) that I had survived. I had been diligent with the hand-washing and limiting my exposure to the stricken ones.

Move on to 03:00 Monday morning. My stomach was cramping and I wasn't feeling good at all. I called in sick to work and by noon was making my own long distance calls on the porcelain phone.

Anyway, here I am at home trying to do some work but I'm finidng it hard to concentrate so I thought I'd take a break and write a little update here. I'm going to try and get a little more work done after I take a little nap on the couch afterall, it's not everyday I can nap on the couch and get away with it - "Honey, I'm not feeling well. I'm just going to have a nap." "Okay Gerry, I hope you feel better soon."

Okay, I may be milking it a little but who hasn't done that before.

1 comments:

gewilli said...

sounds familiar...
i did escape it with doses of olive leaf extract... never quite made it to pukin but it could happen still... Kailey had it twice... erin once... lindsey got it once iirc... maybe twice... not sure...

definately not fun...