G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: De-cluttering house = satisfied feeling Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Monday, April 10, 2006

De-cluttering house = satisfied feeling

Well, we spent the weekend doing our very own "Clean Sweep" of our basement. Wow, what a satisfying experience. We have stuff that hasn't seen the light of day since we moved into the house almost six years ago. That was the measure I used when trying to decide if something stays or goes. I'd ask myself, "Have I missed this in the past six years?". If the answer was no, then it was a strong candidate for tossing. There were things that get kept, like certain family keepsakes or books that just need to be put on a bookshelf. We made three "piles"; keep, toss and garage sale. If we have enough garage sale items, we'll have one. If we don't, then we're just gonna toss it all.

Man alive! Do we ever keep a lot of paper! I mean, there stuff you hafta keep, like tax related paperwork but honestly, why the *&#) did I keep computer newspapers from 7 years ago? I have no clue but they've been recycled now. There were some old tax papers that we can throw out now and man, did it ever feel good to toss those! I know, twisted way to feel pleasure.

Marie's parents are helping us to finish off our basement which is what is motivating us to get this stuff cleaned up. We'll move our TV down there and I'm putting a office there so that I can do more work from home days. We're glad we paid the extra money for the larger basement windows. The south facing windows let in a good amount of light during the day. I was reading up on how to soundproof your basement. Got a few ideas (a double wall for the office with insulation between), insulating the ceiling with using sound isolating strips to mount the drywall on. If you have any tips, let me know.

Well, I've already wasted enough time today, back to the wonderful world of Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning. Such happy topics!

g.

0 comments: