G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Random observations about my life... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Monday, October 23, 2006

Random observations about my life...

Music is very powerful... Jim sent a song over to me that was on the satellite radio when we were drivin' out of Algonquin Park this summer and man, is music powerful. I instantly felt happy listening to the song. I mean, the stress I was feelin already this early in the workday started to melt away as I remembered the warm weather and sunshine shining through the thick canopy of trees as we weaved our way along the twists and turns of the Brent access road. Awesome. Oh, and the song? Cruisin', sung by Gwyneth Paltrow & Huey Lewis. A little sappy but I love the strong bass line and retro clean guitar sounds. I also really love Gwyneth's voice. I remember the first time I heard her sing the song... I was absolutely mesmerized. Such a silky, sultry voice…

Okay, I'm back...(shut it Jim... before the comments start! lol!)

Anyway, other observations... where am I gettin' the happiest feelings in my life lately... I gotta say that spending time with Marie and my 3 boys is something that always makes me happy. We've had some good times lately, making little adventures out of the smallest tasks. The boys are at a great stage right now and Marie is in the best place, mentally, since her seizure.

For those who know me, I do a specific volunteer role that I really enjoy and find myself smiling as I a finish up and drive home. I really enjoy doing that. I know that's kinda cryptic but I'm not sure how much I want to blog about that particular activity since it can draw an unpleasant element from certain segments of society. Nonetheless, I really feel like I'm making a difference out there.

Autumn… this is my favorite season. I love the leaves changing colours, the cool, sunny days, the abundance of the harvest… pun’kins and corn stalks – cheesy and predictable but I love it.

I worked on my car this weekend and I have to say I enjoy doing that. I replaced the handbrake cables; one had cracked and rusted so the rear passenger brake was draggin’. That entailed removing a few interior trim pieces and crawlin’ under the car. I changed the oil and managed to patch the exhaust system. I’m hopin’ the patch holds so I can delay the $1100 for a new catalytic converter. I’m pretty sure the patch will hold for a few months.

Well, there are a few other things I’d like to write about but I’m runnin’ short on time so I’ll save ‘em for another time. Specifically, I’d like to talk about my niece’s illness next time.

Have a good one,
g.

0 comments: