G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Jim left for Algonquin today Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Jim left for Algonquin today

Well, Jim started his solo trip today. I was talkin' with Marie about it last night... she asked if I would like to do a solo trip. I told her I'd love to do solo trip. She said she doesn't get it so I tried to explain that I thought it would be awesome to go off on your own, face the challenge of paddlin' a solo canoe, findin' all the portages, not havin' someone to chime in on the decision making ("do ya think the portage is in that inlet or around the next point?")... spending the nights alone in the sounds of nature out in the fresh air. She said she still didn't get it so I compared it to people going on silent retreats and that kinda helped her see what I was gettin' at.

We're goin' trailer campin' with the kids this weekend. I'm really stoked about it. I've talked about how I love both the "car camping" as well as the back country camping. I like havin' the kids around, being excited about every little thing, approaching it like it's an adventure. We'll inevitably end up fishin', swimmin', havin' a campfire, roasting marshmallows and hot dogs... it's gonna be a blast!

Marie's Dad bought a boat and he's puttin' it in the marina near us. P* is really excited 'cause he's soooo into fishin' right now. I'm gonna have to get my boat and fishing licenses real fast. In fact, I should prolly get my fishing license this weekend 'cause we will end up fishin' and it's not worth the hassle if we get caught and we will be in a provincial park so the likelihood if gettin' caught is prolly higher in the prov. park than just at the lakeside spots.

The drive in today was just plain stoooopid... two and a half hours almost to the minute... a high speed crash early this morning closed the eastbound lanes of the 401 and of course, westbound drivers had to stop and look... as if there's anything they can do to help at this point... move along people! The emergency services have everything under control!

Idiot drivers.

Or well, lots to do and like GeWilli, if I keep postin' I'm sure it'll sit for hours with very little added after this so I'll hit publish and move on the next "To Do" on my list today.

Oh, and send you positive thoughts and prayers to Suki... she's hurtin'.

Have a great day everyone!

g.

0 comments: