G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Now we're cookin'! Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Now we're cookin'!

Okay, so it's only 29 days 6 hours and 45 minutes until we leave for Algonquin on our big trip and we're only just startin' to do some trials with the dehydrator. I had messed around with it earlier in the year and dried out some fruit but neither Jim nor I have ever made jerky which is something we really both enjoy and want to bring. It turns out that Jim had hit google lookin' for some tasty sounding recipes as did I and we came up with two different styles; a wet marinade and a dry rub marinade. I don't have a link to Jim's recipe but it has light soya sauce, brown sugar and some spices. I found this little tasty soundin' recipe and settled on it only to have a little side adventure gathering the ingredients.

The recipe calls for chilli powder and neither of us had any left so, like I do for many of my unanswered questions, I hit google and searched on "how to make chili powder" and tried the first link that came up. I'm glad I did this 'cause Jim and I assumed that chili powder was made from ground up chili peppers when in fact it's made up of a blend of spices, all of which we had on hand.

Here's the recipe that I used to make chili powder:

Mild Chili Powder

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. red or cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix well. Place in an airtight container. This makes 2/3 cup.

It smelled GREAT! Now, Jim and I have never really cooked together where we're blending ingedients so I think I may freaked him out a little when every couple minutes I kept sayin' to him, "Hey Buddy, you've gotta smell this!" LOL!

Anyway, here's the recipe that I linked to above for the dry rub jerky:

Dry Cure Southwest Jerky

1 ts Salt
1 ts Pepper
1/2 ts Cayenne pepper
3 tb Chili powder
2 ts Cumin
2 Cloves garlic minced
2 lb Steak sliced thinly

Combine ingredients and thoroughly mix together. This is a dry marinade so there is no liquid. Sprinkle the spice mixture on the meat slices and work into the grain with your fingers. Cover and marinate overnight. Place trays in the oven and dry at 145'F. for first 4 hrs. then set oven 130'F. until dry.(4 to 8 hrs.) Jerky should be hard but not brittle. Blot up any fat that appears with paper towels. *For a chewy texture, slice the meat with the grain, or across the grain for more tender jerky.

Now does that not sound mouth watering? The two batched of jerky are marinatin' in Jim's fridge and the dehydrator has bannanas, grapefruit and watermelon in it and that stuff should be ready by tonight. Jim read that the watermelon tastes like cotton candy when it's done... wouldn't that be a treat in the trail!

I'm findin' myseld a little short on time this morning so I'll stop here and if I get chance I'll come back and finish off.

Have a great day everyone!

g.

6 comments:

Jim said...

It was not you saying "... Hey Buddy, you've gotta smell this..." that freaked me out...it was watching you engulf my clean counters like a avalanch of mess that was horrible to witness!

Suds said...

hey, I cleaned up after myself!

Jim said...

Let me get this straight....you had almost 2 hours to think of a comeback and that is what you came up with? Weak...

Suds said...

dammit! I should've just left this one alone...grumble, grumble... neat freak! j/k! :)

Jim said...

Dude you going soft or what? (jim reads suds responses again)...that answers that.

gewilli said...

Phew - i thought when i saw chili powder on the quick skim as it loaded that my secret gewilli chilliwould be divuldged to the masses...

and Jim...

you should see me and suds making Pizza dough...

LMAO