G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: So Jim finally did an update and... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Thursday, July 20, 2006

So Jim finally did an update and...

he puts the pressure on. In his latest blog entry, he states:

... My plan is for Gerry and I to have our bags packed AT LEAST 24 hours before we leave and avoid any last minute running around....

Does Jim not understand how I operate? LOL! Hey, this could be a trip of many firsts... the first time I do the canoe trip I've always wanted to do, the first trip I say I'm gonna pack light and actually do it... and now apparently, the first time I'm not packing my backpack just before walkin' out the door to get in my car to leave! Hey, I know I've made the decision to "raise my standards" in my life but wow, this seems like crazy talk! LMAO!

Kiddin' aside, I'm really doin' my best, and being successful, at raising my personal standards. I recently listened to a talk (I've kinda changed my car into a classroom by listening to audio books on various topics) that spoke about the fact that the only way we can become a better person is to continuosly raise our standards. It made me think how Marie and I had taken that approach (although I wouldn't have labelled it as such at the time) back when we started our life together, and that in recent years I had failed to continue to raise my standards. Marie and I had a conversation last night about this. We had set ourselves a 5 and 10 year plan and here we are, we've achieved what we focused on. What we hadn't done is reset the goals and re-focus on the new goals. In other words, we'd kinda just coasted along and became quite passive in our lives. For me, although I didn't realise it at the time, this had lead to a slight discomfort and more stress. I think that most people, if not all of us, need to improve ourselves as we go through life to be satisfied and fulfilled. We must add value to society and make it a better place. That is what I'm now focusing on. I'm gonna make a positive difference and teach my kids through my example that we must go the extra mile, make the extra effort and make a positive impact on the lives of the people around us... in our circle of influence (I'm not sure who coined that phrase, but I like it). That is the only way we can do it. We start with ourselves and soon the people around us will be influenced.

Whoa, that totally wasn't where I meant to go with this entry... I just wanted to rib Jim a bit. It's all good though... kinda reflects where I'm at right now and if anyone wants to talk about it more, feel free to e-mail me, call me or whatever. I don't have all the answers but I certainly have ideas and would love to learn from the people around me that are makin' positive impact.

Have a great day!

g.

1 comments:

Jim said...

Lots to comment on here...

About having the bags packed a day before we leave, I was not pointing fingers at you I said "we", but if you assumed I was talking about you, I am sure it had nothing to do with last year when you were running around looking for your stuff an hour after we were to leave, while I am sitting in the care honking the horn...

Kidding aside, as you know Gerry I am big on ever increasing goals and think it is the best way to have motivation spread to all areas of my life.

Great read buddy!!!