G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Friggin' computers! Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Friggin' computers!

Okay, I never thought I'd post about work but what I came into this morning was *very* frustrating.

Yesterday I started running a security report on a server here at work and it was a doozie of a report... very big and long running. It ran for most of the day yesterday and I left it running when I left for home last night. I came in this morning and my laptop had been rebooted! The report?... Gone. Never to be seen again.

Damn. I just wasted most of a day.

I work for a very large corporation and they have thousands of computers and servers across the globe so I understand that they can't always give notice when there's a patch being delivered but come on, we're working down here. Anyway, I've decided to break the report down into smaller segments and I'll see if I can merge the files after the fact.

Enough about work.

So I've played around with the design of my blog here and I'd love to hear what you think (Jim and GeWilli's peeps that fell onto this page from their respective pages). I thought about puttin' up a post beggin' people to comment but two thoughts crossed my mind: 1) it's been done, and 2) I'm afraid that it will go unanswered and I'm not sure the ego can take that kind of a hit. :)


I have to say that I enjoyed playin' around with the code to modify the design and, although it not rocket science, it was fun and reminded me how much I enjoy that kind of thing. I sometimes miss the "hands-on" computer work that I started out doin' when I began my career in computers. I also got the opportunity to troubleshoot a problem for a user yesterday and again, it was refreshing and a bit of a confidence booster to see that I still had the skills. I think I'm at a stage in my career where I've forgotten more than I know... hmmm...

Well, the first of a bunch of the smaller reports is finished so I'd better go take a look...

later,
g.

1 comments:

Jim said...

I for one love the new page setup and also hate/love computers.

It sucks that you lost the report and I feel for you buddy! Here's hoping the rest of your days goes better then the start.

Jim