G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Jim let the cat outta the bag... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Friday, January 12, 2007

Jim let the cat outta the bag...

in his last post. Capsized Canoe 2008 has been discussed and we've come up with a tentative route that I'm really excited about.

Take a look at the route we're thinkin' of:

There are a number of things that I'm lookin' forward to on this route:

  1. Radiant Lake is supposed to be really neat. It's quite shallow in parts during the late summer, so it'll be interesting to experience... I may even get out of the canoe and walk if it's possible.
  2. Hittin' parts of the park that I've never seen before. As much as I'm lookin' forward to sittin' on the island relaxing on Robinson Lake, it's in territory that we've covered once and that takes a tiny bit away from the route. What makes up for that is the fact that we were a little taken aback at the portaging and this year we'll know what to expect and we can raise the bar some more. A back-to-back comparison of the 2.5km port using the yoke pads will be quite interesting too.
  3. As weird as this sounds, I'm lookin' forward to the challenge of the 3.5km portage that I'm hoping we'll have developed our technique for this year!
  4. The fire tower at Big Crow Lake! Here's a neat site that I found that talks about fire towers in Ontario. I enjoyed reading the bit on the history of the towers and the details about how they were set up.
  5. I'd like to check out the Ranger cabin near the fire tower... I hope no one is using it.
If you've been on this route before, I'd love to hear about it!

Have a great day,

g.

0 comments: