G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Mrs. Stromnecker... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Mrs. Stromnecker...

This blogging world has me quite intrigued. You get to take a peek into people's lives and often end up learning a thing or two. Jim did a post asking, okay, begging for help with a bet that he had with one of his business associates about the traffic to his blog. I'm sure you've all read it 'cause you're more than likely visiting my blog from his - apparently "Other Things" are not as interesting as "Algonquin Canoe Trips" :) Anyway, one of the comments was from someone names Mrs. Stromnecker about Jim's spelling and grammar. I don't know if this is a real person or not but it highlighted the fact that this blogging world can be a double edged sword in that it can often make us feel really good connecting to people and making our views known but, it can also be harsh to hear criticisms of ourselves or our points of view. Personally, my initial response when we read the comments on Jim's blog (he was over at my house the night after he posted the entry) was that Mrs. Stromnecker was in need of something to loosen her up (I'll let you use your own imagination with regards to what she could use). Then I thought, maybe this is an older teacher that no longer teaches and she misses that type of interaction that she had with her students. Someone named Sean left a comment on Jim entry from yesterday saying that content was more what blogging is about and I agree with that to some degree. Okay, initially I said "right on Annonymous Sean!" but then I thought about how my oldest son is in grade 4 and he struggles with his handwriting (or cursive writing as they call it now) and he often just prints his assignments. I was learning handwriting in grade 2 and by the time I was in grade 4, all my assignments had to be in handwriting and we'd lose marks if we printed. That's where I started to side with Mrs. Stromnecker a little in that these days we are quick to abandon the technical side of things in favour of ensuring the creativity is not stifled. Personally, I think there can be a balance most times and I find it a challenge to articulate my thoughts creatively whilst being technically sounds. Hmm, something to think about. Or maybe not.

Wow. Talk about stream-of-counsciousness writing eh? I think that was almost a GeWilli moment that I had. :)

Now for my next random thought... does anyone know if you can remove the date stamp from digital photos other than using some sort of cloning tool that removes it by covering it up? Some time during the first day of CapsizedCanoe 2006 I turned the date stamp on so I've ended up with the stamp on some pretty nice photos. I've googled and messed around with some software like Irfanview, ACDSee, Exifer, etc and not been able to find a way. Any input is appreciated. (that last request for input is directed at all the "Jim-o-philes" that had found there way here from his blog)
How's that for a segue to my next thought?

I've often wondered why I don't get any traffic from GeWilli's blog 'cause he has quite a few regular readers. It's prolly 'cause they're all cyclo-crazy gearheads (not a bad thing, just pointing out that they are in their own community). In hopes of drawing in a larger audience... did I mention that I have a bicycle? It's hangin' in my garage right now but I have been known to ride it occasionally. (Great... now I've started "markin' out" to the cyclocrossers... have I no shame? lol!)

Hey, I got an e-mail from Annonymous Jen recommending a wine... Terra d'Aligi Tatone Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2000. She said it's not expensive, had good cherry undertones and she really enjoyed it. I took a look on the LCBO site and they don't list a 2000 vintage but they do have 2002. Here's the listing since they use javascript to bring up the database entries so I can't give a direct URL to the listing:

TERRA D'ALIGI 'TATONE' MONTEPULCIANO D'ABRUZZO 2002
VINTAGES 994616 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 15.75
Wine, Still Table Wine, Red Still Table Wine
13.5% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : D

Made in: Abruzzo, Italy
By: Spinelli Srl

Release Date: Oct 14, 2006

Tasting Note
A fragrant Montepulciano with the depth and structure to match a range of grilled food. Cran-cherry, tea, mineral and a few cedar notes. Good fruit ripeness, softened tannin and lively acidity. Nothing out of the ordinary but a reliable red with good length. Ready to drink. Score - 86 (Jeff Davis, Wine Access, ?First In Line E-Report?, April 15, 2006)

Sounds good to me. I'll see if my Bliquor store has it. (Newcastle is too small to have separate Beer and Liquor stores so we have a combo store with a big walk-in cooler to "git yer own two-four" of domestic beer. Thanks Annonymous Jen for the tip!

Well, as usual, I've put off my work long enough so have a great day everyone!

g.

1 comments:

gewilli said...

send me one of the fotos with the time stamp - lemme give a go at removing one as s trial...