G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: How can I complain about this? Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Thursday, February 08, 2007

How can I complain about this?

okay, so it's not so much a complaint as it is a statement of suckiness about a situation I find myself in. We've been blessed with an opportunity to have a family vacation for the last 3 years down in Florida. The last 3 years have been with my in-laws. Now no matter how much I tell you about issues I have with my MIL, really they are well intentioned people and I have learned to cope with the difference of opinions that I have with the MIL. (by the way, in Volkswagen speak, MIL stands for message indicator light which is usually equated to problems with a system in the car... lol kinda fittin' isn't it?) Anyway... back to my issue... this year we were supposed to vacation with my parents since we hadn't done that in a number of years. My parents are now retired and they just got back from Barbados, so I assumed that they would not be vacationing again this year. As it turns out, they are interested in going south with us.

Crap.

Now I feel like I have to choose between my in-laws and my parents 'cause we'd already been talking to the in-laws about vacation plans with the assumption that my parents wouldn't be available. I should also mention that in the past my mother has poo-pooed the idea of vacationing in Florida as they like Myrtle Beach. Again, this lead me to assume that they wouldn't be interested in coming to Florida and since Marie really wants to go there and, given the year she had, she gets priority. (Well, that and the fact that I have to live with her and I kinda like sleeping in the house... lol!) As it turns out, my parents are interested in going to Florida so I say it again...

crap.

The only glimmer of hope I have to make this decision easy is that my in-laws are not sure if they are going... they are waiting to hear how my niece is doing and if her transplant is taking. They don't want to get stuck down there if something happens up here and they want to get back. It's a little different for us since we're still young enough to make it back rather quickly but for a 70 year old, the trip back would take the better part of a week. If they don't go now, they said they would go later in the year, prolly after hurricane season. Let's hope they decide to do that so our decision is made for us.

Wow, this really sounds sh1tty... most people would love to get the opportunity to vacation every year and here I am talkin' like this. I should make it clear that I'm not complaining, just "talkin' it out" to help figure out the plan of action.

I'm gonna move on to more important topics now...

I went down to Sick Kids Hospital to drop off a book of riddles as requested by my niece. I also picked up a girl's magazine that was geared at her age group (12 yrs old). It was weird, I could only call into the room and her mom had to come out to get the stuff since she's in what they call reverse isolation. Basically, the kids in that ward have no immune system (it was shut down by the chemo in preparation for the bone marrow transplant) so they can't allow the general public in. The rooms are under positive pressure so that no unfiltered air can enter the room... such that when you open the door, air always pushes out of the room. Anyway, I have to say I was quite disappointed 'cause I thought that there would be some sort of window that we could at least see her... kinda like the old concept of the baby nursery only not a window into where they sleep, just a room where they can see people on the outside. Oh well, at least she liked the book and mag that I delivered. I think I'm gonna do that again next week since she's gonna be in there for about another month.

Well, I'm gonna go for now... I hope you don't think any less of me for having written what I wrote today. :) I'm of the mindset that if I write it, as long as it's not offensive, I'm gonna leave it up 'cause this is my place to put my thoughts and I don't feel compelled to censor them.


Have a good day everyone.

g.

6 comments:

twugster said...

That's a good way to think. Your thoughts, your way, uncensored. Freeing isn't it? ! ;)

Glad to hear more about your neice, still thinking about her often.

Have a great week - Tootle lou!

Suds said...

thanks, you too!

g.

gewilli said...

keep it flowing suds!

are you sure we ain't related somehow?

ya thinkin alot the way i do...

that or you've been reading too much really poorly written stuff (mine) LOL

it'll work out...

Erin and K are headed to D-World in FL on the 18th... ya'd have to drag me against all that is right and good to go there... so i'm looking forward to a kick ass week spent with just me and the littlest...

g

Suds said...

cool for you man... a whole week!

Yeah, we don't do D-world... we did once and will do again when the baby is older but we just go for the warm weather... we rent a house with a pool...it's all we need 'cause we have a built in entertainment with the cast of characters that we are as a family! LOL!

I love readin' you stuff... the technical bike stuff often goes a bit "over my head" but I can learn too...

Hey, you can't sign off with a little "g", you're the big "G", I'm the short little "g"... lol! j/k

g.

Suds said...

hey I just noticed yer profile pic... LMAO! That's exactly how I imagine you every day in the lab... chuggin' back the bean juice!

Jim said...

Sure you can complain about it..in fact, this is the best place to do it!

I always find it comforting to know I am not the only one that struggles with this kind of stuff.

Keep it coming buddy!

...and my 2 cents; Go with your parents. :)