G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Take that Mother Nature... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Take that Mother Nature...

Jim has a condition that has given me cause to worry now that we're doin' some serious interior camping (no not that nasty rash Jim, the cream the doctor gave you should clear it up...)... Jim is allergic to bee stings. We had gone over our response plan last year to ensure that we understood ahead of time how we'd react. The plan was for Jim to immediately self-administer his epinephrine while I dropped everything, grabbed the canoe and hightail it out to Brent to make a call on Jake's satellite phone for MNR to go in and rescue Jim. We hoped that he would be able to keep administering his meds until someone got there for him. We also hoped that I could manage to get out in time to give him a chance of rescue. I have to admit, the more I thought about it, the more I was concerned about how realistic this plan really was. I mean, let's say he was stung late in the afternoon - that means that I would most likely be trying to find my way in the darkness of night, struggling to find portages, possibly missing ports and ending up shootin' rapids. Let's just say that I think that there would be a serious possibility that you would read about us in some newspaper as the latest casualties in Algonquin. Not the end I want to have. I'm more inclined to want to die the way my Granddad Doyle did... went for a nap after lunch and never woke up.

Anyway, I've got a ton of work to do so I'll end my post today with a little picture for Jim:



Have a great day everyone!

g.

1 comments:

Jim said...

The last time I was stung the bee had the same angry expression as the one in the pic you posted...he still kinda scares me!

Seriously though G, getting desensitized will be less stressfull for you, me and Tanyia...everybody wins exept that bastard bee!