G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: More Adventures in BBQ Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Thursday, May 03, 2007

More Adventures in BBQ

The other night I had a go at smoking the ribs I bought at the same time as I bought the sirloin steak roasts. This time I did a dry rub with homemade chili powder, a little extra cayenne and salt. I started by pulling the membrane off the back of the ribs to make it a better experience to eat. Then I did the rub and, because of the late hour that I got home, I put 'em straight on the BBQ. This time though, instead of mesquite wood I used apple wood for smoke. I figured apple and pork go so well together so apple wood was called for this time. I had temperature issues part way through the smoking process 'cause it started raining and I didn't realize so the BBQ cooled off a little but overall I had it smoking at about 300*F for almost 4 hours. I wanted to get it closer to 250*F but I'll try that next time. I also had too much salt in the rub... in fact I may leave the salt out next time. I would have to say that they were the best ribs I've ever made... no boiling them or anything. I'm quite excited about my new found BBQ techiques since you can't get any good BBQ around my town. I've heard that there's one place in Toronto and another west of Toronto but why drive those distances when I can get fresh, quality meat locally and smoke it myself in my backyard?

Well, back to work now so I'll wish everyone a great day and get back to it.

g.

0 comments: