G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: BBQ success! Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Monday, April 30, 2007

BBQ success!

So I had great success with my BBQ adventure on the weekend... I smoked a sirloin steak roast (about 8.5 lbs) on my BBQ. I used mesquite wood for smoke, ran the temp at 300*F steady for about 4 hours. It proved to be more popular than the one I did in the oven which was great news in my quest to re-create great southern BBQ. I used a dry rub on both roasts... BBQ one was salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder and homemade chili powder... oven one was garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper. This was the first time I cooked to temperature rather than time. It was less stressful than doing it by guessing the time needed to cook the roast all the way through. Both roasts were taken to 130*F and allowed to carryover cook to 140*F. They rested for 1 hour (actually the oven one rested for almost 1.5 hours). Both carved up nicely. One of the things I learned when I was reading about BBQ techniques was to have a pan of water in with the meat to keep the environment moist and help stop the meat from drying out.

I served the meat with roast potatoes and carrots as well as mashed potatoes, corn niblets, cesar salad and fresh bread. I decided to do the two styles of potatoes 'cause we had some vegetarians in the group and the mashed didn't cook with the meat like the roasted ones. Oh, and I also did a frozen veggie lasagna for them. Next time I might try and do something a little nicer than a frozen entree but I was tight on time and cookin' appliances 'cause I stuffed meat into all of them! LOL!

I've got some ribs that I'm going to do tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how soon I get home tonight. I picked up some apple wood to BBQ the ribs with, it should be tasty!

That's all for now... have a great day everyone!

g.

1 comments:

gewilli said...

ya making me hungry man...

:(