G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Car no start... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Car no start...

Well, I think I may have experienced my first fuel gelling in 6 years of TDI ownership. I went out today and it seems like the engine is being starved of fuel and won't run. I got it started for about a minute and then it just stopped. The temperature dipped a little last night and given the time of year, perhaps the supply was switched over to summer fuel. Oh well, I'm not gonna stress over it until I get the root cause of the issue tonight. I guess I've got my evening planned out now... I think I'll buy a new fuel filter on my way home. I just have to find out the hours of the truck shop near my house since I need a CAT filter. I switched the car over to an aftermarket filter that utilizes a CAT 2 micron filter. Better for the lengevity of the engine. I always meant to install an oil by=pass filter too but never made the plunge. I wonder if it's too late with over 350,000km on the odo? Hmmm... something to think about for sure.

The party after the baptism was great this weekend but I was fighting off a bug... a thoat and ear infection. It seems to be better today. Having the basement finished to allow all the kids to play downstairs was a good thing. They played air hockey and ran around down there with little to no disturbance to the activities upstairs. The carpet is still not installed but I got some carpet from a neighbour who put hardwood down in his living room so I just cut it to fit the area around the air hockey table so it worked out fine.

Not too much else to talk about right now so have a great day everyone!

g.

5 comments:

gewilli said...

that's weird...

my Cat's been running great - no issues with fuel...

as far as seasonal stuff goes...

i've kept a bottle of B20 in the freezer for months. A blend of summer fuel and biod with no sign of any crystals...

was it colder than -20°C lately?

that or your cat filter could be somewhat plugged up...

or your oil level
or the shut off solenoid in the Fuel pump is hosed
or
or
or
or
or could even be just a slow battery not getting to the right cranking amps...

but with your driving the battery should be fine...

Suds said...

I need a new filter for sure... temp was not low in my opinion but I thought it may be gelling. I'm gonna troubleshoot tonight starting with the fuel filter. I've already confirmed stock at the Kenworth dealer near my house.

Oil level was ok... why do you say that as a source of the problem?

Battery is good (been there before but it's cranking strong)

Hmmm, now I'm gonna perseverate on this all day now... :}

gewilli said...

oil pressure cut off - but not that i think about it - it will let you start but turn it off if there isn't oil pressure...

about the filter...

i put mine on a while ago...

i changed it after 20k miles and haven't changed it since !

which is about 100k miles maybe - maybe only 80k...

Suds said...

Hmmm, oil pressure cut off... what would cause low oil pressure? I'm due for an oil change but I'm not far over my usual interval of 16,000km.

I replaced the connecting hose that runs from the intercooler to the intake. I don't think that could have caused any problem.

gewilli said...

no oil = only time that switch comes into play...

long shot...

hose shouldn't have cause problem

could just be fuel filter
*shrug*