G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: Here's a mini-review... Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Here's a mini-review...


of the yoke pads that Chosen Valley Canoe Accessories sent to Jim. Take a look at the video that Jim put in his blog.

It's looks very promising for the portaging. I know that there's nothing that would make it easy but without the yoke burying itself into my spine at the base of my neck, it will be easier. I also think that with the sling design, the yoke won't be pressing into the muscles in my shoulder so again, it'll make it easier. The biggest problem with the portaging was the pressure points; the weight of the packs and canoe were not an issue for me. I really get excited about CC2007 because of two things: 1) the challenge of the portage and being able to correct some of the mistakes we made this year and 2) the idea of staying on Robinson Lake on the island we found on the trek out this year. The picture on the left is what we'll be lookin' at as we sit in our thermarest camp chairs relaxin' after catchin' some fish for dinner and sippin' our tetrapak of wine. Aaaah, that place is our little piece of heaven on earth. People who have never been up there will never fully understand how awesome it is up there. I can't wait!

Jim and T are coming over Friday night (I hope) and we're gonna have some Christmas cheer, play some games and have some great laughs. I only hope that Marie has the energy to stay up for a bit. I bought some Christmas Port for Jim and I to try as well as some red wine from the McLaren Vale in Australia. The first wine is from d’Arenberg and called "d’Arry’s Original Grenache Shiraz" and of course is a blend of Grenache and Shiraz. I'm really looking forward to trying that one. The second is called Holy Trinity from Grant Burge Wines. It's a blend of 9% Grenache, 36% Shiraz and 25% Mourvedre. I've never heard of the Mourvedre grape. These are two wines I've never tried but they come highly recommended from someone I trust with a fairly experienced palette.

The port is from Dow's and it's a Reserve Port released for Christmas. I was tempted to pick up another bottle of a port that I bought last year from Warre's (the 10 Year old Otima tawny port) but I decided to be a little more adventurous like I was with the wine. I guess I was in a mood when I was shopping eh?

The last two items I bought were beer. The first was for sentimental reasons... it's a beer that I had with my Uncle Kevin in his local pub just outside Wigan when we visited England 5 years ago called Old Speckled Hen. It's a live beer over there so I have hopes that the new can might be a close representation although I don't expect the same experience. The second beer I bought is a fantastic beer from near where I grew up. Hockley Valley Brewing Company makes a very nice beer called Hockley Gold. I really think they've struck a good balance between having some flavour and not being too strong to scare aware the Coors Light crowd. Hey, Marie and I both liked it so it's got to be a good balance since we prolly represent both ends of the spectrum.

I wouldn't mind hearing any other recommendations on wines, ports or beers that you've enjoyed.

Gotta run.

g.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to try this wine:

Terra d'Aligi Tatone Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2000. It's not expensive and it's fantastic. Good cherry undertones.

Let me know if you like it!
Jen