G Algonquin Trips and Other Things: I made it! Algonquin canoe and portage trips

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I made it!

It looks like the migration went okay.

Phew.

I was over readin' GeWilli's blog and wandered over to Kerry Litka's diary and read her latest entry and had a good chuckle. It took me back to my highschool days and the wise-cracks that I hung out with... I could just imagine that conversation happenin' in the hall hangin' out at the lockers... hee hee!

"Dude, don't exacerbate me while I'm masticating."

I'm also happy to announce that Jim won his bet and will be enjoyin' a very expensive bottle of wine that I'm hopin' will be opened while I'm around! ;)

The more I think 'bout CC2007 and the latest route on the low maintenance ports, the more excited I am about doin' it. As I said to Jim, the nervous feelings I get as I imagine tryin' to find the portages is quite exciting. I'm lookin' forward to the challenge. We talked about some of the things we'll do different for CC2007 and basically the list can be summarized as:

  • pack less food
  • pack less clothing
  • buy the new gravity feed filter
  • buy the "bent paddles"
  • make sure we have down time to enjoy our time in the park
  • slow down enough to enjoy the first day trek to Robinson Lake
  • snap more enroute pictures
In my usual stream of consciousness approach to writing... Christmas was great! The boys were really excited with the gifts we got them and we really surprised them by hiding the air hockey table in the back room and not showing them 'til they opened all their gifts under the tree. They absolutely loved it and they were thrilled to get the hockey net for outside too. It took forever for me to put the net together. It turned out that the gut feelin' I had about the instructions being wrong were spot on! They had me puttin' the net on upside down. The frustrating part was that I insisted that I stick to the instructions and got nowhere except pissed off. In the end, I gave it another go late last night and flipped the net around to the way I thought it should be and it went together easily. See, sometimes it doesn't pay to read the instructions first!

I'll have to download the pictures and movies from the camera and post some up here.

Well, back to work for another day... have a good one!

g.

0 comments: